Thursday, January 30, 2014

Free Write- A dice Throw


Form and content really seemed to echo each other for me in this passage. The larger font and capitalization allowed for those phrases and  words to stand out the most on the page. These same phrases, seemed to me, to emulate the meaning of chance which is the product of a throw of a dice. Their descriptive nature was made more obvious to me in the way they are used as headers. I honestly did not get much meaning from the smaller text beneath, which made the features of chance stand out even more to me. The structure of this passage made it so tempting to simply read the bold, "The number might have existed; The number might.." The structure was describing what the number could have been but it was all up to chance so there was nothing too definite. This contrasted with the left hand side of the page. The left page, interesting enough had more definite words, "It was" while less defined space. The seriousness of the words was almost taken away by the emptiness and openness of the space on the page. "It was", but was it? Then further down the page, the uncertainty sort of dwindles when "was" was changed to "would be". This dwindling is almost felt in the space and I really don't believe that the message of that would have been apparent had it not been coupled with the form. Even the pause created by the space after "MIGHT HAVE RECKONED" pushed me, for a quick moment, to try to draw some conclusion of what I read. Considering, I didn't fully understand what I read when combining the smaller and larger fonts, I just continued reading. Between "IT WOULD BE" and "CHANCE" the placement of the words made me wonder why they were put like that. Mallarme was probably using that to emphasize that the words were the ones that were placed there by chance.






No comments:

Post a Comment