Thursday, January 16, 2014

500 Words of Nonsense - Ashley Bianco

From  high to low.  To the silence of the voices, to know of praises from silent voices. They speak their names to the sands. From high to hill towers, reigns no power. Tones to various zones. BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP. Voices from the voiceless. Pause. Scatter. Turn. Wither do they come when they jump? From pavement cracks to green lights, do they truly see the bright lights? SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM.  If only they saw, see or knew. Can you truly say what you mean to say? From hues to cues. With a world enveloped by squeezing hoopskirts galore, lipstick schmear, and jungles or more. Holla Holla Holla. With a zip, jingle and a clank. They sing La LA LA LA. Smoke? No its only a joke. Its quite fishy for it to be funny. Zany? Quirky? Crazy? There are no such elephants in this room. Punny? I say funny. Do you hear me….
For every jingle there is a wrinkle. Every Vice there is a voice. Yet for every elephant is there a rhyme?  I heard you called.  Austin once said for us to have sense and sensibility, yet can someone have a sense when there is no ability? Wait is that sugar in my coffee? Splash. Splash. Splash. Footsteps, I still hear them. Don’t speak a word of my stash of candy.  Do you not hear the singing? I used to be a biology major.  Isn’t Darcy a zombie? Do you still believe in grammar? PERIOD. When green and red outline my paper. Twitter. TWEET. TWEET. Or is that an app now? I used to go up but now I seem to go down. My coffee is black.  I’m fluent I swear. Do you hear me…
OH. OH. OH. Incomplete. Satisfaction. Unleashed into the world. I speak with unfathomed words. Misused? Misunderstood. Creativity isn’t quite the brevity of my world. Would iambic pentameter work? RING RING RING. Glitter or gold. Whats the choice when there is voice? I hear the zebra’s sing. With voices soft of wool. Or is that the cool breeze? Pitter Patter Pitter. Its six thirty. No Now seven. I’m told I have to speak another language. Do you hear me…

Latin. It’s the dead voices they speak. Dead or not dead are what the scholars seek. Whats so wrong about the past tense? Formulaic? That’s too much of a pattern. DODGE DODGE DODGE. From what? A faceplant? The rappers say not to trip, but my clumsy feet always do. Testing gravity is what I do. Nerds, candy or the person?  Oh hi. Are you incorporated? I hear Starbucks and Dunkin are duking it out. The sands are rising. The Houses are tumbling. SCREAM SCREAM SCREAM. Is Dorothy Coming!? Hide from Hell’s Waters. To lose the reigns of kingdoms raises. IS that your boss? Laugh. Laugh. Laugh. They used to say no but I always asked so. Questions to the paradox as is the shoes to heel, oh wait… is that real? Click. Click. Click.   HELLO CAN YOU HEAR ME?

2 comments:

  1. I really like the way you show what you think nonsense is. When I just looked at your piece before I started reading from the top I noticed several capitalized onomatopoeia such as ‘BLEEP’, ‘LA’, ‘SCREAM’, ‘OH’, and ‘RING’ that repeats more than twice, mostly three times in a row. Some onomatopoeia can be used in a sensical way to describe previous or following sentences. For example, ‘BLEEP’ is between two sentences that describe sound, such as tones and voices, and ‘LA’ describes people singing. However, most of the other onomatopoeia are used randomly with out any pattern or certain rule. I thought the combination of the sensical use of onomatopoeia and the nonsensical use of onomatopoeia makes this piece more illogical and nonsensical.

    Furthermore, it seems that the other type of nonsense you used in your piece could be randomly written rhymes. Some sentences have internal rhymes such as ‘To the silence of the voices,’ and ‘For every jingle there is a wrinkle,’ while some other sentences do not have any rhyme. Your resistance to construct certain patterns and rules makes your piece more interesting and hard to figure out your intention.

    Finally, I think the free association you used in your piece well produces nonsense. For example, the third paragraph starts saying, “It’s the dead voices they speak” and the sentence is followed by “Dead or not dead are what the scholars seeks.” It seems like the idea of ‘dead’ in the second sentence unconsciously diverges from the word ‘dead’ from the first sentence, and they do not share any common theme. This method does not allow the reader to easily find the author’s intention of the piece. Overall, I really like this piece and the way you try different nonsencial elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I want to say that this was a great read! I don’t know if you thought of this off the top of your head even though it seems like a lot of time went into this nonsense. From beginning to end, your response made me think and question certain things. Also I loved that fact that while reading I would try to answer one of your questions in context to the paper but then I would be interrupted with a ‘BLEEP’, ‘DODGE’, ‘TWEET’, etc. I loved that because even though some of the questions you asked were serious in all their randomness there was a funny and shocking interruption. I noticed that a lot of what you wrote was centered on noise. There was a particular phrase that you repeated after each paragraph, “Do you hear me…” It seemed to me that this response followed a mind pattern almost. I feel like that phrase had to do with the fact that there was so much you had to say that you weren’t sure if people were understanding you. Also throughout the response there was onomatopoeias that were capitalized and made sure to stand out. With all of this focus on noise throughout the response it makes me feel as though the mindset being followed hear is crazed and manic in a sense. In my opinion, this crazed and manic mindset fits perfectly with what some aspects of nonsense are. Your response exemplifies just how nonsense can include many different aspects of randomness, madness, and sometimes logical craziness!

    ReplyDelete