Thursday, January 16, 2014

500 Words of Nonsense--Bower



Balter baltering balting balt baltz waltz one two three one two three four five six feel sad falter alter teeter totter no need to suffer stiffer whiff food hungry cheese satisfaction reaction times are bad down down the rabbit hole hold on blah blah blah stop telegram music in the hills Christmas coming home stresssssed pressed shirts detective shows when it comes on looking for clues and clueing for looks song birds and cages and words and released onto paper, ensnared by  paper, comma where are the periods? Oops. Shortcomings and too warm and then too cold and trying not to go to the bathroom, could be stolen when you’re gone, oops. One hundred and twelve, progress! Wait on an empty stage, fill those empty pages yourself, feminism! On the brink. Can’t get up, can’t leave. Technology makes me antisocial. Workbook/Laboratory manual, laboratory, really? Are we rats? I want cheese. Hungryyyy! Don’t use too many exclamation points! Oops! ! ! Oh well! Water! Almost! Gone! But really! Stop! Okay? No? Yes. This is going to take forever. Ugh. Can’t hear, what is this? Welcome to the convent, okay, I’m leaving now. Vanilla Twilight, yum! Moving on…hailing a train like you would a taxi cab, if only. Past two hundred! Rejoice! Need. To. Go. To. The. Bathroom. Honestly. Begging at the feast. For cheese. Or fish, of the golden cracker variety. Counting my starfish, except I’m not at the ocean, is there a train at the ocean? Stop that train! Swinging vines! Tarzan! Jane! Everything that kills me makes me…aren’t I dead? Such nonsense. No-n-sense. No in sense. No incest? Sorry, Oedipus. Puns! Yay puns. I’m so punny. Step it up on the stair stepper. Or run, run, run! Past halfway! Over the hill, sledding, down, down, down the rabbit hole again. Sink in the river all over the world. Flyyyyy? Yes, to the Angel City! It’s like a dream. Or a nightmare. Depends. Are there diamonds in the sky? Maybe. Okay. It’s brighter, can I wear sunglasses inside? I think that’s frowned upon. Still need to go to the bathroom. Cheeeeese! I don’t want to save this, do I have to save this? I don’t think I’ll even read it again. Are you still reading this? Probably. Oops. Dear reader, I’m hungry and need to go to the bathroom. That is not nonsense. Let me tell you now, I need to get more music. This is very depressing. What kind of tea should I drink? Tea, Tee or T? Maybe not Tee, for I’m very bad at golf. Parking Lot! Wonderful choice. Thank you, Target. Thank you, iPod. Thank you, Shuffle. Nearing the homestretch! Oh, and thank you Sara. Of course. Less than fifty! And I’m still in the same spot in a parking lot. Or am I? Can’t stay here. Not any more. I need to go to the bathroom. And I can’t keep playing for the same spot. But I just keep playing. Almost finished! Okay. One more.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your nonsense, if that makes sense. I feel that one approach you may have taken in writing your nonsense was by looking around your room and then associating those objects or words with others (such as the lab manual with laboratory, and then rats and cheese). There were also many instances among all your random words or phrases, where you included your thoughts or feelings, like being hungry or needing to go to the bathroom. Perhaps you were listing to music as well, since you mentioned, “everything that kills me makes me..” I noticed that there were many similarities between the techniques you used to create your nonsense as did Lewis Carrol in Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. For instance, there were multiples uses of puns and also the occasional questioning of your self and trying to rationalize your thoughts. There were also references to other works of literature such as Oedipus in your stream of thoughts.

    Had someone not known that you were trying to get done with 500 words of nonsense, the frequent counting may not have been so clear.

    The repetition and rhyming that you began your nonsense with, reminded me of the poems by Edward Lear. There are words that rhyme here but they do not seem to fit any context or have a coherent purpose. And the repetition, which usually serves to enforce or clarify a certain idea, creates even more disorder.

    ReplyDelete